This literature review undertaken (2005)for the Higher Education Careers Services Unit in the UK by the Institute of Employment Research at the University of Warwick, examined career-related interventions and their impact on students’ career related decisions, career learning and progression towards the labour market.
Although there is substantial literature in the English speaking world on different curricular and extra-curricular interventions, broadly defined, which may impact on a student’s career learning, progression, and career decision-making, evidence related to the efficacy of these interventionsis limited.
Six themes were identified from the literature for which research reports were assessed:
- career related interventions
- curricular interventions to support
- vocational trajectories
- curricular related interventions
- extra-curricular interventions
- pre-entry curricular interventions
- multi-cultural curricular interventions